The recipes below were taken from our 1995 Dairy Book of Home Cookery, which was distributed by the Milk Marketing Board from its first edition printed in 1968. It is a very basic, heart-warming soup, and perfect if served with crusty bread.
Cream of Potato Soup
450g potatoes, peeled and diced
1 large Onion
2 medium Celery Sticks
salt and freshly ground pepper
300ml fresh milk
45ml fresh cream (optional)
30ml chopped parley
1. In a saucepan gently fry all vegetables for 10 mins without browning.
2. Add water and season
3. Bring to boil and let simmer gently for about 25 minutes until all veg is soft
4. Liquidise or run through a sieve and put back in pan along with the milk
5. Bring back to the boil and then simmer for 5 minutes
6. Ladle soup into bowls, whirl on fresh cream and sprinkle with parsley
Cream of Cauliflower Soup
Follow recipe above using 450g Cauliflower instead of potatoes, break cauliflower into small florets
Cream of Celery Soup
Follow recipe for potato soup using a large head of celery instead of potatoes…..stir in 45ml of fresh cream just before serving
If using a pressure cooker, when you get to step 3, add lid, bring to pressure and time for 10 – 12 minutes…….after pressure has diminished, remove lid and continue with method as above.