Baking with free range eggs can sometimes be tricky as they differ in size….. but here is a fabulous recipe that has been developed in the Olive Tree Farmhouse kitchen, which will make either 2 x 10″ round tins, or….. 2 x 8″ round tins plus 12 cupcakes……
- 550g softened butter or margarine
- 550g caster sugar
- 550g eggs, beaten
- 550g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream together butter and sugar, beat really well to get lots of air in.
- Add eggs a little at a time plus a pinch of flour from the 550g of weighed flour.
- Add Vanilla extract and beat for a further 30 seconds.
- Sift the remaining flour and fold in.
- Put equal amounts into the 2 tins, and if making cupcakes add 2 generous teaspoons of batter to each case.
- Bake at 180ºC in a pre heated oven – approximately 50 mins for the cakes and about 18 mins for the cupcakes.
This recipe is great for a celebration cake and can be split and filled with layers of buttercream and jam……covered with a thin layer of buttercream, and then iced and decorated with fondant.